Sitemap www.vgtu.lt Mano VGTU Medeinė

History

History of the University
  • The start of the present-day Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (VGTU) is deemed to be  September 1, 1956, when Vilnius Evening Division of the Evening Faculty of Kaunas Polytechnic Institute (KPI) was established. A specialist in chemistry Assoc. Prof. Jeronimas Kudaba (1909-1992) was appointed the Dean of this division.
  • July 1, 1960. KPI Vilnius Evening Division was restructured into KPI Vilnius Evening Faculty. A. Cyras was appointed the Dean of the Faculty, which consisted of Departments of Civil Engineering, Electrotechnics and Applied Mechanics. There were 500 students studying in the Faculty.
  • July 6, 1961. KPI Vilnius Evening Faculty was restructured into KPI Vilnius Branch with two divisions: the day-time and evening studies. A. Cyras was appointed Vice-Rector of KPI Vilnius Branch. The number of students was growing steadily, more and more specialities were introduced. Two faculties were founded in the Branch: Manufacturing of Production Instruments and Mechanical Technologies.
  • In 1962 KPI Vilnius Branch released the first class of graduates - 78 engineering specialists. In the same year the Scientific Council was established. The Council meeting of  December 18, 1962 passed a decision to design a new building of KPI Vilnius Branch.
  • September 1, 1964. The Faculty of Construction Economics of KPI Vilnius Branch started its activities. On September 1, 1968 the Department of Urban Construction at KPI Vilnius Branch was established.
  • September 1, 1969. KPI Vilnius Branch was restructured into Vilnius Civil Engineering Institute (VISI). Hence, an independent institution of higher technical education emerged in Vilnius. Professor Aleksandras Cyras was appointed its first Rector. At that time there were 26 departments with 290 teachers in total, whereas the number of students amounted to 3 451.
  • September 1, 1971. The Faculty of Architecture at VISI started its activities. Four years later, on September 1, 1975, the Faculty of Construction Economics was opened and in 1987 the Department of Municipal Economy was established.
  • February 7, 1990. An election at VISI took place, where dr. habil. Edmundas Kazimieras Zavadskas was appointed the Rector of the Institute. On October 31, 1990, by the decision of the Lithuanian Supreme Council, Vilnius Civil Engineering Institute became Vilnius Technical University (VTU).
  • March 20, 1991. The Statute of VTU was adopted. On July 2, 1992 The Statute of VTU was approved by the Lithuanian Supreme Council. The restructuring of VISI into the Technical University was followed by the reorganization of curricula and programmes, development of new specialties and specializations in line with the Western model of education. There were faculties of Architecture, Construction, Engineering Communications, Mechanics and Electronics.
  • In 1993 the Aviation Institute was founded which started to qualify aviation engineers, pilots, air traffic control specialists. Two new faculties were established: Business Management and Fundamental Sciences. In 1994 the Faculty of Transport Engineering was founded.
  • August 22, 1996. The Lithuanian Government adopted a resolution on awarding Vilnius Technical University the name of an ancient Grand Duke Gediminas and naming it Vilnius Gediminas Technical University.
  • June 20, 2002. By the decision of the Senate, prof. dr. habil. Romualdas Ginevicius was elected the Rector of VGTU.
  • The year 2006 marked the 50th anniversary of the existence of Vilnius Gediminas Technical University.
  • November 6, 2010. The first Congress of VISI – VGTU Alumni of all generations took place.
  • March 15, 2011. The Lithuanian Parliament approved the new Statute of Vilnius Gediminas Technical University. VGTU was reorganized from a state budget institution into a public organization.
  • September 8, 2011. By the desicion of VGTU Council, prof Alfonsas Daniunas was elected the Rector of VGTU.